Tattoo Tuesday V.114


Name and blog name: Mal Warning
Age: 25
Occupation: Special Education Substitute/ part time nanny & jewelry maker.
Age of first tattoo:16
Favorite tattoo: Cherry blossom tree on my back
Featured tattoo/location: Owl & Teapot on my right thigh
Artist/shop/location of feature tattoo: A great lady friend of mine by the name of Donna Klein did this piece at Evermore Gallery back home in Edwardsville, IL. This tattoo was taken from a favorite print of mine done by Kim Anh Nguyen.



1) Tell us about your featured tattoo.

This tattoo was a gift from my in-laws as a graduation present! I knew I wanted to get something that signified them in some sort of way or something that included them or that will always make me think of them. After some thought I decided Kim Anh Nguyen print was perfect! For our wedding my in laws bought me a tea kettle that I had been lusting at for sometime & so in the tattoo we made the tea pot the same color as my wedding tea kettle. Also I really love tea, this tattoo is something that shows people a little about myself.

2) Do you have any other tattoos?

I do! Does anyone ever just get one? All of my tattoos were done at Evermore Gallery done by either Donna Klein or Carrie Davini who is also another lovely lady friend. On my left thigh I have stacked tea cups to go along with my tea pot on my right thigh. I have a cherry blossom tree on my back, which is still my favorite because it makes me think of my mom who passed away when I was 2. In Japanese culture cherry blossoms are associated with "mono no aware" for their extreme beauty and quick death. I have an outline of a small dove on the right shoulder, a peacock feather on my right foot (which is actually a cover up from that time I was 16 & thought I'd truly love blue stars forever). I have the word "love" on my left wrist, a few hearts on the inside of my lip as well as "Mrs." on my wedding ring finger.






3) Do you plan on getting more?

Absolutely! Since recently moving to Portland I am hoping to get in with Silje at Scapegoat Tattoo to start my right sleeve this spring. A good pal of mine who married my husband and I works at the shop (Evermore) & has been apprenticing for almost a year now & as soon as I plan a trip back home he will be doing a clementine for my dog, her name is Clementine :)

4) How do your family and friends feel about your tattoo(s)?

My family has been very supportive so far, I think they know its something that I enjoy & want to continue. My aunt who raised me as asked me not to do my arms, but I think she will come around once its done, she loves all of my other tattoos & has recently been talking about wanting to get one of her own! My nana has also made plans to have one of my branches from my cherry blossom tree tattooed on her shoulder. Also this past year I took my father-in-law to get his first tattoo & I didn't have to hold his hand like he thought after all! My husband has tattoos as well, I am pretty sure he plans on more as well.

I have been pretty lucky, not a whole lot of negativity. But because I work within schools mine are covered a majority of the time & when co-workers do find out they are pretty surprised. I think in general people are just curious about my tattoos. I feel like if someone doesn't have tattoos or doesn't plan on ever getting any its a hard thing to grasp why we do get them or enjoy them. I've been stopped in the grocery store and asked "Why would you do such a thing, your such a pretty girl" by an elderly woman and the occasional stares. But other than that Its been pretty positive. I wear my tattoos with pride, especially in summer (when schools out).






 5)What's the most interesting experience you've ever had in regards to your tattoos? 

I'm not sure I have had any really interesting experiences, I like to read while I am getting tattooed, I guess that is a little interesting. I have also been sitting in a session getting my back done while a huge, I mean football player huge man was getting a four leaf clover tattooed on his lower back and was crying & when he was done I was still being tattooed and said something along the lines I don't know how you can be so chatty during this! People are weird in general, I often get strangers wanting to tell me about THEIR tattoos and tattoo stories when I never asked.

6) Any advice for those interested in getting tattooed but haven't gotten one yet? 

I think its important to do your research on an artist and shop you want to go too. If I hadn't moved across the country I would be going to Carrie and Donna until there was no room left on my body! I also think there is a reason why the legal age for getting a tattoo is 18, you don't know what you like. Trust me, 25 year old you wont like your 16 year old you tattoo choice. Lastly this is permanent, don't randomly pick something off a flash. Take some time to think about it and make sure its something you really want. I have been sitting on my idea for my sleeve for almost two years & I still want it so its going to be something I'll love forever.