Tattoo Tuesday V.98


Name/blog name: Julia at http://weliveoutloud.wordpress.com/
Age: 31
Occupation: Full time mommy. Part time hair stylist/makeup artist
Age of first tattoo: 18
Favorite tattoo: Boombox on my left shin. It is from the album Subliminal Plastic Motives by my favorite band, self
Featured tattoo/location: Mary Poppins sleeve on my left arm
Artist/shop/location of feature tattoo: Ahmed at Trader Bobs Tattoo in St. Louis, MO


1) Tell us about your featured tattoo- is there a background story about why you chose it, or maybe a special meaning?

I get asked this a lot. Understandably so. I used to watch Mary Poppins A LOT when I was a child. It quickly became my favorite movie. Then a few years after high school, I packed up and headed east to New York City where I became a nanny. I sent out to be a Mary Poppins. I try to live my life with the motto "A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down!"



2) Do you have any other tattoos? If so, what do you have and where?

I have a bunch of random ones. Boombox on left shin, rose on right shin, stars around my right wrist, butterfly on center of back, nautical star on back of neck.



3) Do you plan on getting more?

Absolutely. I intend on doing my right arm eventually. I have many ideas as to what I'd like. I would like to do something for my daughter, Zalyn. It's just a matter of time. My brother in law is a tattoo artist and I have many plans for him to do plenty of my upcoming work.




4) How do your family and friends feel about your tattoo(s)? Have you run into any adversity or negativity because of them? Do you have a significant other? Does he/she have tattoos?

My family is amazing. At first, my parents weren't too hip to the idea of their little girl "decorating her body." But they have grown to love it. I've even been introduced to some of my mothers friends, siblings friends etc and they'll say, "OOH, you're the one with the Mary Poppins tattoo." I suppose that means they brag about me? As far as adversity is concerned, yes, I get some negative feedback. But only from strangers. My husband (who is heavily tattooed as well) and I were in the store one time and a gentleman walked passed us and shouted, "It's not Halloween, kids. Trick or treat, freaks!" We just brush it off our shoulder. Yes, we get stared at from time to time and yes people say things of the sorts, "What are you going to do when you get older?" or "Are you going to let your child get tattooed?" and the ever so popular, "Why would you do something like that?" There's some close minded people out there that just don't quite understand the nature of why people get tattoos. And that's ok. We just make the world a little more colorful!





5) What's the most interesting experience you've ever had in regards to your tattoos? This can be something someone said to you, a weird tattooing experience, whatever.

My favorite story involving my tattoo's was when I came to visit my grandparents after being gone for awhile. My sleeve was close to being done. The last time I saw my grandparents, I only had the top of my shoulder. So, needless to say, they were shocked. My grandfather looked at me and said, "My oh my, every time we see you, you are more and more decorated." Then my grandmother chimed in and said with a smile, "Yes, and we love you more and more." My grandmother passed away almost 3 years ago and I'm constantly reminded of her strength, beauty and wit. Just the way she looked at me with a twinkle in her eye and the way she said that, makes my heart melt each time I think about it. My grandfather was right, we really truly are "decorated."



 
6) Any advice for those interested in getting tattooed but haven't gotten one yet?

Think it through. Don't rush into it. Do research on who you're going to have do your tattoo. If you see someone with a tattoo you like, ask them who did it for them. Then check out said artists portfolio. Once you found the right person and decided on the perfect piece, be prepared. Bring a bottle of water or gatorade. I resort to sucking on lollipops while getting tattoo'd. And I focus on my breathing. Whether you are getting a large piece that will take some time, or something small, just remind yourself that the pain only lasts a little while and when it's all said and done, you'll have a pretty awesome reminder of your strength that you sat through a pretty painful experience. That's how I look at it and it's gotten me this far.